Thursday, January 7, 2010

Winter Stamps

Well, winter break is over but winter is not. Bring on the winter projects!

Today I bring you a favorite of mine - winter stamps. I do this lesson with second graders in two 35-minute sessions. The first day, we look at stamps and talk about them. Many kids have never really given stamps a second thought at this age, but it's such an every-day item, I think it's worth talking about at any age. In this session, the only part of the project we have time to accomplish is to trace the stamp stencil and glue it to the "frame." I created stencils that have the half-circles cut out of the sides of a 9x12" piece of tag board and a rectangle in the middle for the picture. I encourage them to only glue in the corners, so there is no dried glue to draw/color over in the next session.

Next session, is decoration time. We talk about things we wear, see, and do in winter and I write them on the board (no holidays). We also talk about the price of the stamp, which is a great cross-curricular activity with math. The students can choose whatever price they want, but it has to be written correctly. We also talk about things like how much money you have when you have "one hundred cents" and review verbalizing numeric values. After that, I let them loose with crayons and colored pencils and they go to town! I love the variety of results. See for yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment