Tuesday, October 26, 2010

1st Grade - Owls

This is a good lesson for directed-drawing and combining shapes to make an object - an owl! We also use crayon-resist, which is always like magic for my little first graders. We start out by drawing the owl together in steps:

We also draw the moon - students can choose either a full or quarter. We then outline the drawing with Sharpie and color it in with crayon (except the sky!). We then use a yellow crayon to make the stars while pressing VERY HARD. If they don't know how to make a "star," I just tell them to make little "scribbly circles." We finish it off by painting black paint over the sky, and the stars appear under the paint like magic!

I like to incorporate literature and writing wherever I can, and with this project, I had good opportunity to. I started the lesson by reading the chapter "Owl and the Moon" from the book Owl at Home. We finished the lesson by doing some writing. I typed up a sentence starter that said, "It was a chilling night in (our school's town). The spooky owl spied on a ______." and the students completed the sentences with an adjective and a noun. It made for an awesome display!

No comments:

Post a Comment